Monday 7 March 2011

Chapter 2 Reflection

Brian's mind is hard at work.  On one hand he has thoughts of crashing and on the other he is trying to do his best to learn to pilot a plane on his own.  I found it interesting that he isn't wresting to keep the thought of crashing out of his mind.  Instead he seems to be preparing himself for the worst.  He seems almost comforted that he knows what might happen to him.

Have you ever prepared yourself for the worst by imagining the worst possible end to something? 

Brian is learning to pilot a plane really quickly.  What do you think the best things he did to learn how were? Do you have any other ideas of what to do in the moment to learn more quickly?

What are your thoughts about the pilot right now?  Would you be doing anything to help him?

Have a look back at my comments to you in the previous posts and make more comments back.  I will try to do the same. Mrs. Peterson might add in her thoughts too.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I was stuck in a tree and I imagined myself falling on my head, but my friend help me down.

    He flew the plane up and down until he got it straight. He used the head set to communicate with someone with more experience and then he got cut off.

    I think he is dead, I would not try to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you, but just being next to a dead body would probably make me totally unable to think about anything. You never know when that survival instinct might kick in though. I would probably be looking for a manual to read I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chapter 2 Reflection reminds me of the survival insticts that a United States pilot had two years ago.
    The pilot's plane was taking off from New York City with a 155 passengers on board. During take off a flock of birds flew straight into the plane, which affected it's ability to fly correctly. The pilot had to do an emergency landing and his only choice was to land in the Hudson River (a major river running through New York City)!

    Gilbert, if you want to learn more about this click on the link below. Also, there are lots of videos on youtube explaining the story and showing the amazing landing.

    http://articles.cnn.com/2009-01-15/us/new.york.plane.crash_1_air-traffic-controllers-bird-strike-pilot?_s=PM:US

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a heroic act for sure although he doesn't think so. He thinks of it as just doing what he had to do in the situation. Courageous in the face of danger.

    I wonder what Brian would say about his actions. Heroic, courageous, something else?

    It is worth noting that the pilot in the situation Mrs. P. is talking about now does speaking engagements for thousands of people for thousands of dollars each time. I hear he donates most of his profits. What do you think of that?

    ReplyDelete